Sunday, April 15, 2012

There's no place like home

Be it ever so humble...
My porch
There's no place like home

Cliche perhaps, but never were truer words spoken.

In the McMansion age of Vegas, disco, glitter granite, it comes as a breath of fresh air when people forgo the starter castle flash in favor of the well worn elements that make a house a home.

Gorgeous old farm table

Salvaged molding shelf

During my time in Real Estate, I have had the pleasure of viewing some truly spectacular properties.  Some of them large and extravagant, even rivaling museums for their art, antiques and historical significance.

Philip Street


Third Street

St. Charles Avenue

Yet I've always found that the homes that have been loved and lived in resonate most with people.
Perhaps it is the New Orleanian in me that values the old over the new, but cookie cutter design fades, and age and charm cannot be faked. 

Italianate corbels on Chestnut Street

Garden District gate and wall at Chestnut and First Street

Garden District sidewalk (Coliseum Street)

What makes a house a home?  If a house is too stark or "done" it looses its human element.  Its the photographs, the "if these walls could talk" stories, the treasures collected over a lifetime that draws people in.

My Mother's baby shoes

Henry's room (and rabbit)


"The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned." - Maya Angelou
or
"Where we love is home- home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

My Mother, Suzette (being held), with her parents, Delores and Buddy, and brother Jeffrey.

1 comment:

  1. Well put, Lauren! What a writer you are...my sentiments, exactly, although I could never put into words as well as you just did.
    BTW, I love the picture of Suzette and family!
    Suzanne C

    ReplyDelete