Sunday, April 22, 2012

Why didn't I think of that?


Why didn't I think of that?


Every now and then you come across great ideas that make life just a little easier.  These are a few simple and inexpensive (if not FREE) problem solvers that I thought were worth sharing and left me thinking, why didn't I think of that?

The first stroke of genius are these Gear Ties



These super strong rubber covered twist ties come in lots of colors and 3", 6", 12", 18", 24" and 32" sizes.  They have a gripable rubber coating and a strong interior wire that holds whatever shape you desire.  I first spotted these at the hardware store and picked up a few as replacements when I lose twist ties that come with packages. 


Then I discovered how great they are for keeping track of cords.  But, as I've recently discovered, there are probably hundreds of uses for Gear Ties.
As wine glass markers

To keep your yoga rolled up
As a stand for your iPad or iPhone (the wire really is this sturdy)
And at just a few dollars for a pack of 4, how can you go wrong? 


The next million dollar idea offers a great storage solution with style. 




Every parent knows the scenario.  You cherish every last scribble your child creates until you are dangerously close to appearing on the next episode of hoarders.  The solution?  
These Lil' DaVinci Kids Frames.  These allow you to proudly display your little one's latest work of art and store up to 50 additional masterpieces inside the frame.
 
 
 
William's race car wheel art looks pretty cool
 
 
 
And there's still room for pine cone and snowflake art, too!
 
 
 
Last but not least, the last brilliant idea on the list is 100% FREE and easy
 
 
  While renovating our kitchen, I did what most do in search of packing supplies- Dumpster Diving! This is when a much wiser friend told me where I could find endless free boxes without the dirty work.  Just go to the post office!  It is so simple.  Just drive around the building to the loading docks, and help yourself to as many bulk mail bins as your car will hold.  Use them as long as you like, and when your done just bring them back.  If you live in the New Orleans area, I recommend the main post office downtown on Loyola Avenue. 
 
 
They are made of corrugated plastic so they are waterproof and won't fall apart.  They come in 2 easy to lift sizes, have lids (if you request them) and their built in handles making them much easier to carry than regular boxes.  Pretty good for the environment too, if you think about it.
 
I even kept one to store cleaning supplies below my kitchen sink
 
Well, I hope you've found some of these ideas as helpful as I have.  If necessity is the mother of invention, then this mother has found a few that make life just a little easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment